What is oncology?
Oncology is the study of cancer. According to news-medical.net, the term oncology literally means a branch of science that deals with tumors and cancers, while "onco" means bulk, mass or tumor and "-logy" means study.
What does an oncologist do?
A doctor who specializes in the diagnosis and the medical treatment of cancer is known as oncologist. Due to the diversity of nature of work, patient group and the methods of treatments, they are normally categorized in different specializations.
- Medical Oncologists - They deal with all types of cancerous tumor, and they treat cancer using chemotherapy, targeted therapy, hormonal therapy etc.
- Surgical Oncologists - They specialize in removing the tumor and surrounding tissue through surgery.
- Radiation Oncologists - They use radiation therapy to kill cancerous tumors.
- Gynecologic Oncologists - They specialize in the treatment of abnormal cancerous tumors originating in and spreading over the female reproductive systems.
- Pediatric Oncologists - They diagnose and deal with cancers that affect children.
- Hematologist-oncologists - They specialize in the diagnosis, treatment and the prevention of blood-related diseases and cancers such as leukemia, lymphoma and hemophilia.
How to start your journey as an oncologist?
Where to study oncology locally?
If you wish to become a cancer specialist, studying in Universiti Malaya might be a wise and right choice for you to get your dream accomplished.
Master of Clinical Oncology (MCO)
It is a 4-year program offered by UM for those qualified doctors who wish to specialize in oncology and the syllabus covers basic oncological sciences, clinical training with emphasis on radiation oncology and use of systemic therapy and research.
- The degree of Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery of UM or equivalent medical qualification approved by the Senate.
- At least 2 years of post-housemanships clinical experience with at least one year out of it must have been spent in one or more of the following disciplines.
- Internal Medicine
- Any surgical specialty
- Obstetrics & Gynaecology
RM 35,508 for local students and RM 70,060 for international students.
Check out other universities that offer medical degrees.
For other courses offered by Institute of Graduate Studies of UM, please visit this link:https://www.easyuni.my/en/malaysia/institute-of-graduate-studies-university-of-malaya-11561/.
You might also need to check out the link below in order to look for other universities that offer medicine programs:https://www.easyuni.my/en/international/health-and-medicine/all/all-levels/
This article was first published here, written by Aji Choy who comes from Malaysia.
by Guest Post
View all articles by Guest Post.