Let us try to keep resolutions simple so that they are easy to follow and complete.
- Eat healthily – make well-informed choices about what you are consuming. Make it a point to eat fresh fruits and vegetables; cut down on the binge eating – keep the indulgence to once a week.
- Exercise – involve yourself in any form of physical activity each day for at least 30 minutes. It need not necessarily be hardcore cardio exercises, something as simple as taking the stairs instead of the elevator would also help.
- Take up a hobby, volunteer with a local self-help group – this will give you happiness that you might not get from your routine desk job.
- Try to meditate for a sometime each day, it will help you de-stress
- Make new friends, meet new people – it will help give you a new perspective to life.
- If you smoke, try to reduce it step by step – smoking did no one no good.
- Try to cut down on the alcohol consumption as well.
- Travel to a new place, solo travel is even more enjoyable – you will discover a lot of things than you do as a group.
- Smile and laugh as much as you can, it costs nothing and will keep the negativity out.
- Avoid talking negative stuff, try not to gossip – make use of your time constructively, and put your ideas into action.
- If you had been procrastinating about something try to do it NOW!
- Last but not the least, keep yourself away from social media at least one day in a week, it will help you appreciate the small things to be happy about, and that you might have missed.
These may be quite a lot in number but they are some of the easiest that you can do. Start with one, once accomplished jump to the next. Motivate yourself each day, take inspiration from your friends and neighbours for the positive things that they do.
Mulling over the past, over what has happened will not help at all; you have no power to change what happened, but you CAN change what WILL happen in the future. SO choose and act wisely.
All said and done, you can reward yourself for each of these small successes with a celebration and allow yourself some binge eating once in a while. You will feel all the more energized!
We at GetDoc, wish you a happy and healthy New Year 2017! Choose wisely, live healthily.
by Hridya Anand
A biochemist by education who could never put what she studied to good use, finally found GetDoc as a medium to do what she loved - bring information to people using a forum that is dedicated to all things medical. View all articles by Hridya Anand.