July 05, 2016 285
Chicken Rendang is delicious indeed, but eating too much will cause you to pay heavily later. So, here is a healthy recipe of Chicken Rendang.
- 1/3 cup coconut paste (kerisik)
- Chicken breasts (appropriate amount)
- 3 – 4 Tablespoons java brown sugar / palm sugar
- 2 Asam gelugor
- 5 lime leaves (daun limau purut), torn
- 2 tumeric leaves ( if available)
- 1 stalk lemon grass, pounded
- 2 Tablespoons match stick sliced fresh ginger
- Pinch of salt to taste
Into a blender (blend thoroughly to form a smooth paste):
- 15 dried red chili , soaked in hot water and drained or 2-3 Tablespoons chili paste
- 8 shallots or 2 medium purple onion
- 3 Tablespoons diced fresh ginger root
- 4 stalks lemongrass
- 2 Tablespoons sliced galangal
- 1 ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- 3 candle nuts ( buah keras) [optional]
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/2 Tablespoon black pepper seeds
- 2 star anise
- Take a large wok and add the chicken breasts, the paste and enough water to cover the chicken breasts. Let it cook slowly on low heat until the meat is tender but still firm, takes about an hour.
- When the meat becomes tender at this point, the gravy starts to thicken. Now toss in the remaining ingredients like brown sugar, salt , coconut paste (kerisik) and the others. Adjust sugar and salt to taste. Let it continue to slowly cook on low heat.
- Keep stirring every 2-3 minutes to avoid burning on the bottom.
- Continue stirring until almost all liquid has evaporated and the meat and spices are well mixed. Rendang will look dark brown and pasty when it’s done. If you like it to be slightly saucy, you can always stop at the point you like but most importantly, the meat has to be tender and the spice, well cooked.
- It is now ready to serve with rice!
Well the reason you didn’t see coconut milk or oil in the recipe is because it is high in cholesterol therefore it is replaced by kerisik. Kerisik can keep the Rendang slightly creamy without losing the coconut flavor. In addition, chicken breast is recommended because it is lean which is suitable for better health reason.
Lastly, please remember to drink lots of water and also control the amount of intake because I’m sure you are going to eat other nice foods as well. You can have those nice foods, but remember everything in an appropriate portion.
What's your favourite healthy recipe during this Hari Raya? Share with us!
by Kent Tan
A university student who loves sports deeply and always strive hard to achieve what he desires. A music lover, a dreamer and a craft maniac. View all articles by Kent Tan.